Tuesday, April 20, 2010

...from the cosmos

When Bonnie Gillespie featured me in her Actor's Voice column, it occurred to me that it might bring me more exposure, but I wasn't really sure if I'd see anything from it. As it turns out, I've had a couple of people contact me via Facebook about the note. It's so neat to see that others are benefiting from the information, or that they have shared in the experience as well!

My acting coach just asked me to contact another old student of his, regarding the New Media Signatory process. I gave him a call tonight, got his email, and sent over the info I had written up. We'll see if it helps him at all. And, who knows, maybe he'll have a part for me somewhere in there!

I took a second pass on my article, incorporating more specific notes after doing some research, and adding at least one informational link. I removed some of the more personal touches, just to save space, as it's running about 200 words over the estimate I was given. I realized that, while my article isn't an easy, bullet point version of how to do it, it does have a lot of information, much of it specific to my experience--and, after all, it is a POV article. So...we'll see. I sent over the second draft and hope to leave it alone from here on out. Editing tends to make me anxious.

Speaking of editing...this weekend, I'll be sitting down to rework a scene that I wrote about two years ago, for possible use in an upcoming comedy workshop. I need to watch the filmed version of it (a couple of my classmates used it in a workshop that we filmed that summer), to see if there are any tweaks that were added into it. As a writer, I tend to be open to improvisation when actors do my scenes, because I feel like sometimes the actors can unearth a gem that I missed. (On the flip side, though, I get annoyed if they change something that is essential to making the scene move forward.. :-P) I'm trying to just worry about that when I'm free this weekend, as opposed to trying to shoehorn it in, say, tonight. One thing at a time, first things first, etc etc etc.

Hopefully, I will be meeting with my co-creators on the sitcom pilot soon! We've all been so busy that it's been hard to get together, which is frustrating--even more so because we're so nearly done with our series bible/pitch book. I'm feeling more open to writing, though, so that's great! I'd also like to go through the sitcom scenes I wrote two years ago, to try to flesh out the pilot that I started back then, just as a writing sample. I have a couple of ideas for features, but I'm so undisciplined about writing feature length film scripts--something to work on, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment