Friday, April 23, 2010

footage, etc.

I sat up last night, because I wasn't tired, and went through more of my footage from various projects, looking for suitable pieces for my reel. Right now, I have four projects that I think have usable footage. I have one that has my best dramatic footage, but the sound is horrible because we shot it on the beach, and the amount of time it would take to clean it up would be...longer than I want to wait. So, what I'm left with is almost exclusively comedy, although each project is totally different. So, that's not bad--gives a little bit of range as far as the comedy goes.

I spent last night and this morning tangling with my coproducers on the SAG New Media short, on whether or not to put it online for people to see. I simply wanted it up as a teaching tool--to serve as an example of what can be done. But, there are concerns about the quality, which I can respect (even if I don't necessarily agree with the concerns). However, the conversation devolved into a fear based exchange on one person's part about whether my writing an article about how we got our elibility would piss off SAG, and that person didn't want their name attached, etc.

I had to control my urge to yell "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!" :) The article isn't even really about me, either. It's a POV piece, yes, but it's really more about what we all did as a team to make this happen. It's a breakdown of the paperwork process and not really about what happened on set, who was involved, etc. I don't bring up anyone's names, because the names aren't important. What we did is important.

I'm fine with not having the short online. I had thought it'd be neat to include a link to it in the article, but the article definitely doesn't need it. And if people are concerned about being identified, then the short shouldn't be linked to it anyway.

I don't know that I buy into the idea that we should be afraid that SAG will come and get us if we tell people how we did it. I think fear is infectuous, and it certainly is in this case, because it's so closely attached to the welfare of the careers of people who are just starting out. I looked at this as an opportunity to share with others and help others, which was a way to give back and pay it forward, since someone helped us.

No comments:

Post a Comment