Sunday, April 18, 2010

Coming up...

In the next three weeks, I have five cd workshops scheduled. One for the cd associate for Mad Men (my favorite show); ones for associates from NCIS and one of the CSIs (large guest casts each week); one for the head cd of Modern Family (great new show, need to watch it more often, but I think I'm always out of the house when it's on); and one for a soap opera associate. Never done a soap workshop, but thought, hey, why not? New territory, and you never know what might happen!

In the meantime, am referring my friend Deja to my commercial reps. Deja is an incredibly talented actress, worked a lot in NY, been out here for three years, and has a great commercial look. She had asked me for a referral last year, but I declined at the time, because I wasn't comfortable referring anyone just then. Also, she had the misfortune of asking me at the same time as probably four other people (and I'd referred someone a couple months before). I thought that, since I just booked, it might be okay to send in a referral. :)

I need to work on my own cover letter, but I really dislike doing my own--I'm better at writing them for other people. However, I have been slowly narrowing down my type(s), especially for the idea of future headshots. I've pulled old headshots and am keeping them on my table, to remind me of what to keep in mind.

I've also started the process of going through my footage on my own, to find stuff I can compile into a reel. Since I don't really like to watch myself, it's kind of an uncomfortable task. I watched an old short that I did years ago, where I played an uber-bitchy, kinda dumb import car model--probably nothing usable, if only because of how it's edited. Very quick cuts, without a lot of time spent on the moments that I have. Also, not wild about that performance, as it's over the top, but that was what they wanted. Lots of eye rolling, if I recall. But, I look awesome in it--hair and makeup were brilliant. I also watched an improv that my coach filmed, which we shot down on Dockweiler Beach last year. It was meant to be a take off on the pilot of LOST (one of my favorite shows). The sound is atrocious, because of the waves from the ocean...but there is one scene that I could possibly use, if I clean the sound up (that'll be job...). It's by far my most emotive work that I have on tape. I have zero makeup on and there's almost no lighting, other than a bonfire, so I look like a ghost (especially because my hair disappears into the blackness of the ocean/sky behind me--we shot at sundown/night). However...I may need to invest in getting it cleaned up...

I know I have usable clips from the short that was just featured in Bonnie Gillespie's column, I just don't know which ones or how many. I also would prefer to have clips from things other than that--and have some drama, if possible. I may need to just film a separate dramatic piece. Of course, that requires some money to rent what I'd need. I have some stuff that I filmed for a friend's reel that is a few years old, but I'm not sure I can use much of it--it's great for her, but for me...I look oddly sadistic in it (I'm playing her therapist, but I ended up looking like I was enjoying her crying). I have the comedic scenes from 'Permagrin', in which I have almost no lines...but facial expression-wise, they're good. (Todd's favorite thing was to have my character being verbally--occasionally physically--abused, without responding.) And I have an old short that my friend and I shot with our respective boyfriends (well, one would become my boyfriend after the shoot), but I'm not sure I can use anything from it. I never thought I was funny in it, but other people seemed to think so. I also need to download our SAG New Media short from December, to pull my footage from that...just wish it were online! Stalemate there.

It would seem that I have a lot of comedy options, but not a lot of drama...so, then, I have to think about filming something. I have an idea for a scene, which is from a script that has yet to be produced. If I were just using it for a reel, I think it'd be okay--just can't put it online or risk being sued, I'd expect. :)

Lots to think about...lots to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment