Wednesday, April 14, 2010

April so far...

Well, I had an audition yesterday for an ABC Family promo, through the gal that has me hip pocketed (for lack of a better description). I thought the audition went well--the director of the spot was in the room and said we did a great job with the adjustments. But, no callback (they were this morning). So, that's...it's always weird to feel like you did a good job, but not hear back. Only thing I can do is try to not take anything personally and just keep focused on the next thing. I mean, you could do a flawless read, but they wanted a blonde/redhead/different race/man/midget, etc. I got to meet a new casting director, so that's always a good thing.

I'm having a little trouble this morning not feeling...discouraged, I guess. Whenever I feel like I am looking around and seeing success for other people, but not myself, I have to stop and remind myself that it's all relative. I am successful in plenty of ways, and there are many people who would look at me and feel discouraged about their own progress. I think it's human nature.

I'm so happy to be back in class, and so grateful for how much it gives me. I have class tonight, and in the next few weeks, I have four casting director workshops, so that's great. I'm looking at other options, too--more workshops, new casting directors to hit up, etc. I started the process of revamping my marketing--updated my website the other day, to adhere to some of the pointers that Bonnie Gillespie put in her Actor's Voice column a while back. I need to tackle each facet of my marketing one by one--I think my resume might be in good shape, but I'll look at her guidelines. I have no reel, so that needs to change. And I need to rewrite my cover letter, for sure. I would love to update my headshots, but that's an investment that I'm not sure I can afford at the moment...and it's probably the least necessary of the work, since I do have a ton of shots, many of them good. I just wanted to update maybe three looks to include more color and the fact that my hair is much longer and a little lighter than it is in the original shots from four years ago. (My hair was shoulder length then and darker because I had to cover up a really awful color mishap from my old stylist...and, while I love the darker color, it's really much darker than my current--all natural--color.)

I also have an email waiting to be sent out, to ask my friends for referrals/advice on agencies to approach. I kind of hate asking for referrals, because I hate the idea of being a bother, but I also am fully aware that I could use the help to get in the door. I'd be eternally grateful for it, too. I haven't been able to give that many people referrals to my commercial reps because I haven't felt like I've been in a great place to recommend them in the past. I've only given one referral, but I've been asked for more. I'm incredibly grateful to be with my reps, and I would never want to upset that balance by sending too many people in, especially during times when it's been lean for me. Since I just booked in March, I extended an offer to a couple of the people who had asked me for referrals a while ago, to see if they still needed rep. We'll see if they do.

I'm still selecting scenes for my upcoming workshops--I got lucky and a really talented classmate of mine agreed to do the scene I'd like to do for a workshop next week, so I'll get to practice it before I go in and do it. I can use that scene twice, too. So that means, two left...one, I think I have already. The other, a comedy, has proven harder to find. But I'm looking...it might come from something I've written. :)

I would dearly love to book something else this month!! Please, Universe? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment