Thursday, May 27, 2010

Love. My. Class.

I really have the best acting coach and the best acting class. I'm so lucky. My coach is so effing amazing. My classmates are so effing talented.

Our class tonight started with our usual guided meditation time, to get centered and relax, to do some imagery. Then we talked about Jungian psychology, how it relates to acting and characters, and also how it relates to our own life. We had to each identify elements of our own Shadows and suggest scenes for one another to explore those elements. I love this aspect of our class. The technique is rooted in psychology, and it's effective as hell, because it really allows for a character study. Combining that with detailed imagery to create experiences and memories from the lives of characters...powerful. (I'm not doing the technique justice here, but trust me--amazing results. And a safe, open, supportive environment.)

I did a scene that was originally an improv, based on an idea I'd had for a script, which I'd written into a scene. We ran it once, with great results, then made some adjustments to see what would happen. We ended up throwing in a section of improv, largely based on what I was saying to deflect the emotional intensity of the scene, and it ended up paying off hugely, because as soon as my partner hugged me, I went from laughing to sobbing. I love moments like that. Just being in the moment with whomever I am acting with, reacting without thinking, allowing emotion to be there and come out how it's going to come out. Love it.

I brought the scene to Amanda (my partner) because we both need footage for our dramatic reels. I hope we get to shoot it, because I think it'll be great for both of us. :)

Everyone else did great work tonight, too. I love watching such talented people each week, watching how each of them have breakthroughs and rise to new levels. So amazing and rewarding!

Next week, I'm diving into a scene from The Constant Gardener, which is a script that I just picked up again after a few years. I think I understand it a lot better now, and I'm excited to work on it. :)

I also had a fun photo shoot this morning! My headshot photographer called me yesterday, to see if I wanted to serve as a model for a lighting test, and in exchange, I'd get some free headshots out of it. I moved my schedule around so I'd be free and said yes! It ended up being a lot of fun. There were these insane lights that were so cool, and the three photogs were playing with angles, lighting, shading, exposure, etc. Some interesting photos, for sure--my fellow model had a few really killer shots! I saw a few of mine, and I'm interested to see what everything looked like. Felicity threw me a few more headshots, just as a thank you. I mostly just changed clothes, more than changing 'looks' too much, as I was doing my own makeup and hair. So...we'll see! I bet I might have gotten something fun out of it!

I have a meeting with a talent manager tomorrow, should be interesting. Just excited to meet new people!

(photos were taken on the iPhone of Felicity van der Hidde, my longtime headshot photographer--she's the blonde in the wideshot, taking the photo of me with Elgin)

Headshots That Book



No comments:

Post a Comment