Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Screening and LOST on the beach

Friday, we had a cast and crew screening for Permagrin (formerly The Known Devil), the indie film that my best friend's boyfriend wrote/directed/produced/starred-in. I had a part in the film, which he wrote for me, and did most of my work in February and March. It was a lot of fun to watch this cut of the film with everyone, but most of all, I just thought it was a great example of what can be done with great determination. Todd's budget was around $8,000. He really willed this project to life, assembling great actors, calling in favors, and just generally busting his ass to get what he needed to get to make it happen. It's really impressive to me, and I have a lot of respect for him. Our screening was in this awesome studio/screening room at the Sunset Marquis Hotel--which is gorgeous--and it was a great time!

Monday night, I went over to Dockweiler Beach to participate in a make up class for my studio. It was set up to be like an episode of LOST, in which we all came to the beach with characters in mind, having done some work on them, made choices about them, etc. Adam, our coach, then directed us into improvised scenes, filming as he went. It was a lot of fun! I was surprisingly tired afterward and most of today, but I really enjoyed the experience! I think Adam is going to cut the footage together so we can see some of it--that'll be neat! It was an interesting challenge--really learning how to make adjustments on the fly and stay focused in the moment, while things were changing around us or providing distraction (the big one for me was mastering how I dealt with the smoke/heat from the campfire). Overall, I felt like it was really valuable!

I've signed up for a couple more casting director workshops, including one for someone from a cd office that does a lot of big budget films and one for someone from the cd office that casts Mad Men. I've also put in for one that happens next week, with someone from the office that casts Southland (waiting to hear a confirmation). I specifically have been looking to do a mix of offices that I am unfamiliar with, as well as offices that cast shows/projects I love or projects that I think would suit me as an actress. It's exciting to keep lining things for my acting. I don't think I realized that I have been continually lining things up until today--but, wow, what a neat thing to realize. I am making an effort, and I have the evidence to prove it. :) I'm hoping for some more commercial auditions coming up--and I may be particpating in a short film shoot on Friday (helping out someone who once helped me with a short film shoot).

I want to refocus some energy on writing for the show--we've all been busy with other things lately, so things had been moving more slowly than before, but I'd like to make a push this weekend. :)

My scene for this week is from a movie I love--so I'm a wee bit nervous!--but I think it'll be a great exercise for me. :) I'm very happy with a lot of what I've been working on in class lately. I have scenes lined up for the next couple of weeks, then I'm not sure what I'll be working on--but I'm sure something great will come up!

No comments:

Post a Comment