Thursday, May 7, 2009

Busy Bee

Well...let's see! Workshop last week was fun--had a sitcom scene with a great partner, and it went well, so that's happy!

Sunday, had a casting director workshop with a gal from the office that casts Mad Men (*swoon*...love that show!!!!). It was interesting--a little different than some of the other workshops I went to, as it moved very quickly. I chose my own scene, something from Trust Me (which I have yet to see...it'll be something I'll rent once the first season is on dvd). Recently, instead of choosing flashier scenes, I tend to look for scenes that might be something I would either be cast in or typed as...something that I think might fit me well enough for the show, too, if I can find it. I was able to do a dry run of the scene I chose, as my partner for class had been absent last week--kinda nice to have the practice! :) Anyway, my notes from the workshop were good--that I was very natural, etc. I seem to get that note a lot, which actually makes me happy. I think I'd rather be natural than be chewing scenery. :)

Had another workshop on Tuesday night, for a different office and at a different studio. Got a scene from The Savages, which was funny to me, as I'd done a bunch of scenes from that script already (last year, in class). I hadn't done this specific scene, but a lot prior to it, so I had a bit more to work with than I might ordinarily have had. It was the sort of scene that is preceeded by a confrontation of sorts, so there's a lot of energy carrying into it, which can be tricky sometimes. But it went fairly well. :)

Voice over audition on Wednesday morning--rarely have had vo auditions, so that's always an interesting experience for me. I just walked into it thinking, "Well, let's have some fun and learn something!" The office was really quiet at the time I went in, so I was able to hear the women reading in front of me--that was a little weird, but it was interesting, as I could hear that most of them were missing a beat that was written into the script and intended to be funny. Prior to my read through, the cd came out and gave myself and the other remaining actress in the lobby a direction to hit that beat. I went in, did my first take and hit the beat, but a little too strongly. The cd popped into the room and gave me the direction to pull it back a bit, which I think I did well. As I was leaving, the cd yelled, "That was great" from her office (where she was watching the session on a feed). So, I guess we'll see?

Class on Wednesday night was awesome. So many great scenes, such wonderful moments for a lot of the actors--people breaking through, having big moments, etc. I had an interesting improv, where my partner was trying to pick a fight with me, but I refused to take the bait. And my scene was gorgeous. It was just my favorite kind of acting to do, and my partner was divine, and I love-love-loved it! It was the first portion of a vignette from Nine Lives, which is a film I really enjoy (by Rodrigo Garcia). We're doing the second portion of the vignette next week. :) I was nervous about this scene prior to it, but I think that was just because I really love the piece, and I loved the original actors in the piece. :) Anyway, very happy with everything.

Had a nice afternoon watching LOST--so LOVE THAT SHOW!!! :) Also, had another workshop tonight, with an associate from the office that casts Southland (which is another of my favorite new shows--REALLY AMAZING). Went up first, as my partner had to leave early for a screening of a film he was in, and it went okay. I got no redirect, although my partner was given some notes. The scene had my character blackmailing his character, but I don't know the source material. It was interesting to watch the other scenes, too. :) I really love Southland--came home and watched it after the workshop. Such subtle acting, so great; love Regina King!

Might go see Star Trek in a bit...love myself some JJ Abrams!!!

Next workshop is currently in a week's time. We'll see what fun happens prior to that day...you never know!! Auditions, callbacks, we shall see!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment