Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Gearing up

The last week or so has been a period of gearing up, if you will.

Last week in class, I worked on a scene than I wrote, which my partner and I intend to shoot as a short. It went well. I was most definitely not in the comedy mood while at class, but I managed to push through it and do the scene well. And my partner, Ryan, is very funny, so he's able to give me a lot to work off of, especially since the scene casts me in a bit of the straight man role. I need to fix some of the writing, but I think we'll be able to shoot it and do a lot with it that will be fun. I emailed him yesterday to see when he thinks we could do it. I'll keep on him about it. :)

I also spoke, via email, with my friend Brian, who I went to high school with, and who lives in LA (he's a writer), to see if he'd be up for helping me film a short dramatic scene with another friend from class. He expressed interest, so I hope we can get it done. Again, I have to rework some of the writing (again, a scene I wrote), but I think we'll be able to get what we need from it.

I have a workshop this weekend with Danielle Eskinazi, who is a great commercial CD in LA. I just got my scene, which is from Friends, and which was assigned to me (along with my partner). The scene is a good fit for me--I'm impressed. Sometimes, when scenes are assigned at workshops, I end up with something that is a little off. It helped that they asked us what celebrities we are like and what types we play, instead of going just off of headshots. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

I've also signed up for two more cd workshops, one for a tv associate and one for a head cd for film. I still have yet to settle on my scenes for those. I also inquired about a commercial callback workshop that came highly recommended--it took me a while to get someone to call me back, but they finally called today. I'm on the fence about it, mostly because of the financial cost of it. But, since it's been very slow the past two months as far as auditions go, I'd like to start strong this fall, and maybe this will help.

I have to run off to approve some headshots at the printers, and probably order more stuff, before I'm off to class tonight, where I'll be doing a 30 Rock scene. I was scheduled to do a Sons of Anarchy scene, but it got pushed to next week, because my original partner will be absent tonight for a chemistry read. So, since an old friend and classmate is dropping by class to say hi (having just moved back to LA from Kansas), I asked her to do a quick comedy scene with me. Should be fun. I wasn't ready for the SOA scene anyway--it's an intense scene, and a new type of character for me, so another week to prep will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment