Monday, August 23, 2010

Angeleno Short Film Fest (and other stuff)

This coming Sunday, August 29th, from 12pm to 8pm, the Angeleno Short Film Festival will be happening at Cinespace in Hollywood. The winning films in each category will be screened, and guests will be able to participate in industry and guest panels, attend the awards ceremony, and network with other industry folks. There's a KILLER raffle, too!

I was asked to serve as a judge by my co-star from the Big Lots! commercial, in part because I act, write and (from time to time) produce, and because of my Actor's Voice - POV article. I've been enjoying the process of watching the films, as it's giving me a chance to learn what works, what doesn't work, etc. It's been nice to see the films that are well done, too. :)

So, actors, writers, producers, directors...if you're in Hollywood and want to come out to the festival, here's the website with the full details:

www.angelenofest.com

Day pass tickets are $10 (which gives you access to everything AND $5 to the bar); Award Ceremony only tix are $5, as are the Raffle tix. I personally have tickets I can sell you, if you see me in person this week. Otherwise, you can purchase them from the website!

I hope to see some folks come out and support the fest!!! :)
----------------------

Actors, there's a great Emmy Roundtable interview in the August 23 & 30 issue of Newsweek. Pick up a copy if you can (article is not available online yet). Christina Hendricks, Bryan Cranston, Eric Stonestreet, Connie Britton, Matthew Fox and Chris Colfer are featured.

----------------------

Last week, I submitted myself online for a webisode that is being cast by a cd that I've had some positive interactions with...I know how many submissions she got for her last project, which was larger in scope (she Tweeted that she got around 15,000 for that one!), so I was just doing it to do it. Knowing something like that helps put in perspective that it really is about submitting yourself, then letting go. I always am grateful to get auditions, period. Anyway, I received a message, asking for a taped audition a day or two later.

Believe it or not, I had never had to tape myself before!! So, I opted to approach things in the most professional manner I knew--I hired my acting coach for a private session and to have him film my audition! I felt like it was an important step forward for me, as an actress, to commit to the action of "putting my best foot forward". I worked hard on breaking down the script, finding the nuances and dynamics in the character to ground her in reality, while giving her enough crazy details to push her out there in terms of comedy. Since improv was encouraged in the audition, I came up with a bunch of details, things to riff on, etc. It made for a really fun coaching and taping session!

We will see if anything comes of the work as far as being called in for the meetings/callbacks. I sent my video link in (they requested we put the videos online, i.e. on youtube), and got a confirmation that it was received...so, we'll see!

Regardless, what I am trying to take away from the experience is that I made the choice to commit to doing it the best I could do it. And that's important, because I think it so often happens that a lot of us don't always give it our best, or limit ourselves in some way. In the end, it's entirely possible that I don't have the right look they want, or I went broader and they wanted dry, you really never know. All I can do is what is mine to do, and I did it. That's something to be proud of. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment